Game of Homes is back for season 2 (!!!!) and we couldn't be more thrilled for the amazing crews as Great Pacific Media and W Network. As new faces prep their audition videos, here are my top 6 Do's and Don'ts for the future contestants:
1) Always be respectful - This may seem like a gimme but the reality is you will go thru every emotion known to man--probably in the same day. Always be respectful of the people around you, they are there to help. Don't be a diva, you're really not that big of a deal.
2) Follow the rules, but always push the boundaries - This is a game. You need to set yourself out from the rest, think outside the box and be competitive. But don't be that guy that does whatever they want. This won't go over well with others and will just create more stress for yourself.
3) Always have something to say, even if you don't say it - Be prepared. If you don't have something to say you'd better figure it out quick. Don't leave things up to interpretation or assume someone understands, explain yourself but know when to shut up to.
4) You're emotional, that's nice, now put it away! - You're making TV, emotion and drama are like gold. You will be terrified, excited, confused, stressed, exhausted, sore, tired, happy, sad, happy, dirty, smelly, sleep deprived, angry, gross, empty, still dirty, maybe hospitalized, and exhilerated, (probably in that order). But you still have a job to do--FAST! You won't be able to control your emotions-- accept them and move on; don't fight them or beat yourself up, it won't help.
5) Have a plan, stick to it, and always be prepared to throw it out the window - Think through what you're doing, have reason and logic. But know that things will get thrown at you, surprises will come up. Suppliers and options will be different than you expected. Deliveries will go sideways. The ability to think on your feet will take you a long way. The big picture is key, remember that.
6) When in doubt sell it like you've never done before - It will never be perfect. There will always be flaws or something that could have been better, but the reality is they don't know that. Tell your story, focus on the positives, and they might never notice what's wrong. You and your creations are the product you are selling, who's to say it wasn't supposed to be that way??
If you live in or around the Toronto area and are would like to be part of Game of Homes Season 2 (!) Check out the details here.
Good luck to the next generation!